In February 2012, Ald. Danny Solis introduced a ward-wide public art initiative designed to transform neglected, inactive spaces or sites plagued with vandalism and, to develop a restorative and preservation plan for older community murals. Additionally, this initiative looks to connect artists with creative opportunities throughout the ward.
The addition of a diverse selection of creative community experiences including 2D and 3D work as well as cultural and creative projects in green spaces or public places in the 25th Ward, this initiative will build the communities overall creation of a pedestrian-friendly, aesthetically pleasing environment for residents, business owners and visitors.
- Alderman Solis personally funds $15,000 to produce new murals
- 33 small to large scale murals executed (29 receives seed money from Ald. Solis)
- 2012 Local Artists/Orgs include: Ruben Aguirre, Brooks Golden, NiceOne, Jake Castro, Ricardo Gonzalez, Sandro Garcia, Ava Grey Collective, Rebecca Ray, Rodrigo ‘Solo’ Mireles, Chema Skndal!, Yollocalli Youth Arts Reach Chris Silva and student murals, Uriel Correa, Mike Davita & Collective, Pros Arts + National Museum of Mexican Art + Adriana Baltazar, Candy Chang Before I die installation by Good News Only + Chicago Urban Art Society
- 2013 Local Artists/Orgs include: Max Sansing, Gabriel Villa, Marcos Raya, Sam Kirk, Nick Adam, Diana Solis, Oscar Romero, Amuse, Hebru Brantley, Momentum Arts, Justus Roe, Pose, Lady Lucx, Nice One, Czr Prz, Facts, Revise CMW, JC Rivera, Peter Kepha, Melon, Brooks Golden, Radah, School of the Art Institute- Painting Department, Miguel del Real, Nick Goettling, Amuse, Alejandro Medina, Nicolas De Jesus, among others.
- Out-of-State Artists include: (*Curated by Pawn Works): *Rae, *Specter, *Roa, *Jon Burgerman, *Gaia, *OverUnder, *Reyes, *La Brona, *Mr. Penfold,*The Yok, *Sheryo, *Brett Flanigan, *WolfnWayz, En Masse, *DabsNMyla, Jason Woodside, *Gats, *Troy “other” Lovegates, *Nicolas “ever” Romero, Remed
Download the Art in Public Places proposal here!
View Art in Public Places Press Packet here!
View 2012 murals here!
View 2013 murals here!
Art in Public Places (AiPP) WINS several Best of Chicago categories: Chicago Reader, 2013
Best Alderman, 25th Ward!
Best Public Artwork, Art in Public Places – Artist, ROA / ‘Opossum’ Piece
Best Public Art Event, Art in Public Places
Best Neighborhood for Culture – Pilsen
Arts Advocate Runner-Up, Lauren Pacheco (AiPP/Solis staffer)
Arts Advocate Winner, Pawn Works (AiPP curatorial partner)
Alderman Daniel Solis Gets #28 on New City’s Top 50 Visual Vanguards: New City, 2013
Mural Crusader: New City, 2013
For more information please reach out to Project Director, Lauren.Pacheco@cityofchicago.org or 773-523-4100.